HomeAcademic AdvisingPolicies & Procedures

Declaring or Changing Your Major/Minor/Certificate

  • If you wish to change your major into the College of Liberal Arts please click here for information on this process.
  • If you are a Liberal Arts student and you wish to declare a new Liberal Arts major or minor, you must submit a Change of Program Form, which can be obtained from the Academic Advising Center.
  • If you are a Liberal Arts student and wish to declare a minor or second major outside of the College, you must contact the academic advising center of that school/college.
  • If you are not in the College of Liberal Arts and you wish to declare a Liberal Arts major or minor without changing your college, you can do so by submitting a Change of Program Form for students outside of the College, which can be obtained from the CLA Academic Advising Center.

Request to Re-enroll

If you have been out of school for one term, fall or spring, you must complete an Undergraduate Request to Re-enroll form (.pdf) to be considered for re-enrollment to the College of Liberal Arts. Re-enrollment forms are accepted until August 1st for the fall term, December 1st for the spring term, and April 1st for summer sessions.

  • If you have noted on your re-enrollment form that you wish to transfer to another school/college within Temple University, please contact that school/college and inform them of your intentions. If they approve your re-enrollment, they will contact us with that information, and we will forward your file.
  • If you have attended another school or college, an official (sealed) transcript from that institution must be submitted to the College of Liberal Arts Academic Advising Center before you can register for courses. You may turn in your re-enrollment form while awaiting transcripts.
  • If you indicate “Academic” as the reason for your absence, you may be required to attend an interview with the College of Liberal Arts Academic Advising Center.
  • If you indicate “Financial” as the reason for your absence, contact Student Financial Services before submitting the re-enrollment form. Students with financial holds will not be able to register until the hold has been resolved.
  • If you indicate “Health Related” as the reason for your absence, you will be required to submit medical clearance from a health professional along with your re-enrollment form.

Registering for Classes

Continuing students in good academic standing (minimum 2.0 GPA in the previous fall or spring term and cumulative GPA) can register via Self-Service Banner (SSB).

All students who have Unsatisfactory Academic Performance (a term or cumulative GPA below a 2.0) must meet with an advisor for registration. Re-enrolled students will be sent an email with specific instructions regarding registration.

During the registration process, you may encounter circumstances that require special approval and the appropriate approval forms. They also require manual registration by the Academic Advising Center. These include the following: Closed Section Approval, Credit Level, Credit/No Credit (Audit Only), Overload, Special Authorization, and Time Conflict.

Note that no changes will be processed unless the student presents the request in person and waits for processing and a receipt of the transaction.

Approval for Overload

If you wish to register for more than 18 credits during the fall or spring terms, or more than 8 credits during the summer term, you must fill out anĀ Overload Petition for permission. Please note that you will be charged for every credit over 17 at the per semester hour tuition fee. Also, it is your responsibility to check the Undergraduate Bulletin and/or meet with an academic advisor to confirm the appropriateness of these courses. Allow 3-5 days for processing. Decisions will be sent to your Temple e-mail account.