Roman Cybriwsky, Program Director
335 Gladfelter Hall
Monte Hull, Faculty Advisor
630 Anderson Hall
Asian Studies draws on the resources of many departments to provide a comprehensive program of study on Asia (especially East Asia). Majors may concentrate on a geographic area, field, or theme(s). By combining language with the study of politics, history, society, art, religion and philosophy, and literature, each student can construct a major tailored to individual interests.
Temple's campus in Japan can provide students experience abroad while taking their coursework. The East West Club offers lectures, films, and career development programs, as well as fun and fellowship through extracurricular activities.
The curriculum gives students a foundation for living or working in Asia, or continuing their studies through developing a knowledge base, cross-cultural sensitivity, analytic thinking, and communication and writing skills in English and an Asian language. After graduation, students find employment in private firms, nonprofit organizations, or educational institutions. Some enter graduate programs in law, business, or academic fields, including Asian Studies.
The Asian Studies program will assist students in:
- understanding the broad foundations of at least one major Asian culture, including the history, culture, and socio-economic-political organization,
- recognizing the utility of different humanistic and social science disciplines in understanding a culture,
- understanding the distinction between theory and data and the links between the two components while drawing generalizations from actual social experience,
- recognizing the way language serves as a foundation of culture,
- understanding the issues and requirements of cross-cultural communication, and
- taking more initiative in educating themselves, to make analytical generalizations, to make ethical choices, and to feel confident in these and other exercises of personal responsibility.
For more information on the Asian American Studies Major, please see the Undergraduate Bulletin.
For more information on the Asian American Studies Minor, please see the Undergraduate Bulletin.