The CHAT Advisory Board works with the directors to shape the future of the Center. Board members also evaluate all of CHAT's fellowship and grant applications.
The spirited discussions at its bi-annual meetings have forged most of CHAT's current slate of programs, making the Advisory Board the heart and soul of the Center.
The Center for the Humanities at Temple (CHAT) was established in 2003 to create an interdisciplinary forum for scholarship and intellectual inquiry in the humanities at Temple University. We work to bridge the disciplinary divide between departments and colleges by promoting broad, humanities-based conversations that connect scholars from multiple scholarly fields.
The Center is overseen by a Director and Association Director, working in concert with an Advisory Board of faculty from different departments in the humanities and social sciences. Participation is open to faculty and students in all schools and colleges at Temple University. Major funding is provided by the College of Liberal Arts, the School of Communications and Theater, Tyler School of Art, Boyer College of Music and Dance, and the Graduate School.
Located on the tenth floor of Gladfelter Hall, the comfortable quarters serve as a gathering place for scholars from across the disciplines to meet, enjoy social hours, and read the latest humanities-oriented journals and periodicals.
The Center sponsors a rich and diverse range of activities, including:
- Visits of distinguished scholars to campus
- Public lectures and conferences in the humanities for the campus and the community by Temple faculty
- Research grants to faculty and students
- A year-long Fellows Seminar
- The Center for the Humanities Post-Doctoral Fellowship in the Humanities
- Graduate Fellowship and Associateship programs
- Programs to strengthen interdisciplinary graduate and undergraduate studies in the humanities
- Contributions to planning and development across the humanities in the College of Liberal Arts
- Cooperation with national and international humanities institutions
CHAT is a member of the Consortium of Humanities Centers and Institutes.
CHAT is located on the tenth floor of Gladfelter Hall on the main campus of Temple University. See directions for full information.
Main number: 215 204-6386
Fax number: 215 204-8371
Center for the Humanities at Temple
10th Floor, Gladfelter Hall
1115 Polett Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19122-6089