Economics of Sports, Labor Economics, Applied Microeconomics
Michael Leeds has been at Temple University since September 1982. His research has appeared in such journals as The Journal of Urban Economics, Economic Inquiry, Social Science Quarterly, and The Journal of Sports Economics. Peter von Allmen and he are coauthors of The Economics of Sports, a prominent textbook in the field. He is co-editor, with Eva Marikova Leeds of The Handbook on the Economics of Women in Sport. His current research includes work on the economics of baseball in Japan and gender differences in the response to economic contests. From 2007 to 2009, he was an Assistant Dean at Temple University Japan. He is currently Director of Graduate Studies in Temple’s Economics Department.
Leeds, E.M. and M.A. Leeds, editors (2013). Handbook on the Economics of Women’s Sports, London: Edward Elgar.
2013 Chapters in Books
Booth, R. and M.A. Leeds (2013). In Eva Marikova Leeds and Michael A. Leeds, editors, Handbook on the Economics of Women’s Sports, “Participation in Women’s Sport in Australia,” London: Edward Elgar.
Leeds, E.M. and M.A. Leeds (2013). In Eva Marikova Leeds and Michael A. Leeds, editors, Handbook on the Economics of Women’s Sports, “Do Men and Women Respond Differently to Economic Contests? The Case of Men’s and Ladies’ Figure Skating,” London: Edward Elgar.
Diemer, G. and M.A. Leeds (2013), Failing to Cover: Point-shaving or Statistical Anomaly? International Journal of Sports Finance, 8(3): 175-181.
- Leeds, Michael A., Peter von Allmen and Sumi Sakata (2012), Wage Determinants in Japanese Baseball. Eastern Economic Journal, 38(4), 479-494.
- Leeds, Eva Marikova and Michael A. Leeds (2012), Gold, Silver, and Bronze: Determining National Success in Men’s and Women’s Summer Olympic Events. Jahrbücher f. Nationalökonomie u. Statistik, 232(3), 279-292.
- Leeds, Michael A. and Sumi Sakata (2012). Take Me Out to the Yakushiai: Determinants of Attendance at Baseball Games in Japan. Journal of Sports Economics, 13(1), 34-52.
2012 Book Chapters
- Humphreys, Brad, Michael A. Leeds, and Peter von Allmen, (2012). In Hoyt, Gail and KimMarie McGoldrick, (Eds.) The International Handbook on Teaching and Learning Economics. “Sports Economics as Applied Microeconomics.” London: Edward Elgar.
- Leeds, Eva Marikova and Michael A. Leeds, (2012). In Leo Kahane and Stephen Shmanske, (Eds.) Oxford Handbook of Sports Economics, “Event Analysis.” Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Economics 1101 (Principles of Macroeconomics)
- Economics 1102 (Principles of Microeconomics)
- Economics 3541 (Economics of Sports)
- Economics 5001 (Managerial Economics – MBA)
- Economics 8104 (Labor Economics – Graduate)