Privatization, security, private and public police and prisons.
Simon Hakim is professor of economics and the director of the Center for Competitive Government at Temple University. He edits a book series on Protecting Critical Infrastructures with Springer Publisher. He earned an M.A and Ph.D. degrees in Regional Science from the University of Pennsylvania. He also earned a M.Sc. degree in City and Regional Planning from the Technion, Israel Institute of Technology and a B.A. in Economics at Hebrew University in Jerusalem. His special areas of research and teaching are privatization and Public-Private-Partnerships, economics of crime and security, private/public police and homeland security. Dr. Hakim published fifty eight scientific articles in leading economic, criminal justice, security and public policy journals. He wrote over forty professional articles and edited fourteen books. He wrote with Professor Blackstone a major! textbook on the electronic security industry. He is invited to teach classes on privatization, and international economics in MBA programs worldwide.
Dr. Hakim conducted several funded research and consulting projects on PPP, security, and public finance issues for the U.S. Departments of Justice and Labor, National Institute of Justice, Volunteers of America, the Commonwealth Foundation, the Independent Institute, the Alarm Industry Research and Education Foundation, cities like Philadelphia, Newark, and New-Castle County, DE, the Philadelphia International Airport, ADT Security, Vector Security, the private corrections industry, law firms, and other leading security companies. For the complete C.V. see http://astro.temple.edu/~shakim; for the Center for Competitive Government see http://www.fox.temple.edu/ccg.
Recent Refereed Article
- “A Market Alternative to Child Adoption and Foster Care”, in The Cato Journal, (with E. Blackstone), Vol. 22 (3), winter, 2003: 485-494. Download.
- “Evaluation of Alternative Policies to Combat False Emergency Calls”, in Evaluation and Program Planning. (With Blackstone, and Buck), Vol. 28 (2), May 2005: 233-242. Download.
- “Privatizing adoption and foster care: Applying auction and market solution”, in Children and Youth Services Review. (With Blackstone, and Buck), Vol. 26 (11), 2004: 1033-1049. Download.
- “Determinants of Airport Choice in a Multi-Airport region”, in Atlantic Economic Journal. (With Blackstone and Buck), a Vol. 34 (3), September 2006. Download.
- “The Disturbance Model and Congestion in Emergency Response,” (With Blackstone, Buck, And Spiegel) in The Manchester School.Vol.75(1),January 2007:104-121. Download.
- “Funding the Local War on Terror: Dollars in Plain Sight”, in the Milken Institute Review: Journal of Economic Policy, (with E. Blackstone and A. Buck), January, 2007: 46-56. Download. http://www.milkeninstitute.org/publications/review/2007_1/46-56mr33.pdf
- “Market Segmentation in Child Adoption”, International Review of Law and Economics, (With Blackstone, Buck, and Spiegel), Vol. 28 (2008): 1-16. Download.
- “Economics of Emergency Response”, Policy Sciences, (With Blackstone and Buck), Vol. 40, 4, 2007: 313-334. Download. http://www.springerlink.com/content/ww44x45527352345/fulltext.pdf
- “A Multivariate Poisson Model of Consumer Choice in a Multi-Airport Region”. IBusiness, (with A. Buck and E. Blackstone), Vol. 1 (2), 2009: 85-98. Download.
- “Privatizing the Police”. Milken Institute Review: Journal of Economic Policy, (with E. Blackstone), Vol. 12 (3), 3rd Quarter, 2010: 54-61. Download.
- “Competition versus Monopoly in the Provision of Police”. Security Journal (forthcoming).
Prison Break: A New Approach to Public Cost and Safety. Independent Institute Policy Report, the Independent Institute, Oakland, Ca. (with E. Blackstone), June 2014. (refereed publication) http://www.independent.org/pdf/policy_reports/2014-06-30-prision_break.pdf
Recent Published Books
- Innovations in Electronic Government: The Thoughts of Governors and Mayors (with E. Blackstone, and M.Bognanno). Rowman& Littlefield Publishers, Lanham, Maryland. http://www.fox.temple.edu/ccg/publications. October, 2005.
- Management Innovation in U.S. Public Water and Wastewater Systems (with D. Kaplan, M. Nadol, and P. Seidenstat). John Wiley & Sons Inc. Hoboken, New Jersey. Sponsored by the American Water Works Association. http://www.fox.temple.edu/ccg/publications.html April 2005.
- Safeguarding Homeland Security: Governors & Mayors Speak Out (with Erwin A. Blackstone), Springer Publisher, New York, New York, 2009. Authored chapter 1 on the Role of the Private Sector in Homeland Security: 1-22. Download.
- Handbook o Water and Wastewater Systems Protection, (with Robert Clark and Avi Ostfeld), Springer, September, 2011. Download.
- Under preparation: The Digital City, Springer 2012; Securing the Food Chain and Agriculture, Springer, 2012; Handbook on Securing Water and Wastewater Systems, Springer, 2011.
Securing Transportation Systems, (with Gila Albert and Yoram Shiftan). John Wiley and Son, June, 2015. http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118977939.html
- Securing Home and Business: A Guide to the Electronic Security Industry. (With E. Blackstone), Butterworth-Heinemann Publishers, Boston, MA. 1996. Download.
- Principles of Macro-microeconomics, international economics, economics and management of privatization, evaluation of public programs, economics of crime, regional economics, economics of security.