Frequently Asked Questions


What is the difference between the Liberal Arts (CLA) and the Fox School (Fox) undergraduate economics major?

  1. The main difference between the two majors is that, if you take the Fox (BBA) version, you will have to take all of the specific required core business courses, of which there are several. The CLA (BA) degree requires fewer specific courses. (See link below) Also note: tuition for Fox BBA students is about 25% higher than for CLA BA students for in-state and 30% higher for out-of-state.
    1. For the major requirements and a link to the general BBA requirements, go to:
    2. For the general CLA requirements, including the major requirements, see
  2. As for the specific major requirements, the primary difference is that the second writing requirement for the BBA is BA 2196–Business Communications, while the one for the BA gives you an option of one from a list of three econ courses (3596—Energy, Ecology, and Economy; 3597—Health Economics; and 3696–Behavioral Economics). Everyone is required to take Econ 3598—Economics Writing Seminar.
  3. With respect to the differences in job prospects, the main advantage the BBA has is that it makes it easier to get job interviews with company recruiters.  With the BA, if you are interested in interviewing in that area, it would be desirable to take the two intro accounting courses (Acct 2101 and 2102) and the corporate finance course (Fin 3101 or 3502) to convince recruiters to interview you. And if you wanted to use the Fox career services (Center for Student Professional Development, CSPD), you could take a minor in business. For information on the business minor, go to: The BA career services (Career Center–the overall Temple one) are available to all.

How do I transfer between CLA and Fox once I have enrolled at Temple?

  1. To transfer to Fox, CLA students will need to attend an IUT workshop where they discuss the Fox School and their programs and give them an evaluation sheet with how their completed credits fit into the Fox program. The site is at: It includes a link to register for the workshop.
  2. To transfer from Fox to CLA: If you wish to transfer into the College of Liberal Arts, you must come to the Academic Advising Center (First Floor, Suite 160, Paley Library) to sign up for a Change of Program session. You must have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA to transfer into the College of Liberal Arts. During the Change of Program group session an advisor will review the requirements for the College and you will submit your Change of Program form at that time.  You will receive notification from the Advising Center confirming your transfer once your file has been received. (To contact them for more information, go to: )

What kinds of jobs are available to economics majors?

  1. In terms of general job prospects with a bachelor’s degree, in addition to general jobs in business (finance, management, etc.), there are positions for economics majors  in government and consulting at the research assistant or associate level. Generally, people hiring for those positions do not care which major, Fox or CLA, the person took.
  2. If you are interested in becoming an economist, you would basically need to get a Ph.D. in economics. In which case, you should take the full undergraduate three-semester sequence of calculus for math and science majors (Math 1041, 1042, and 2043) and a linear algebra course (Math 2101) since graduate-level economic education is mathematically based. (If you are very good in math, you might consider the option of the BA in Mathematical Economics, which might improve your prospects of getting into a good Ph.D. program.  For the requirements, see:
  3. With a Ph.D. your primary employment would either be in university-level teaching and research, or working for government or an economics-consulting firm as an economist.

What about internships in economics?

  1. With respect to internships, the CSPD would be the primary source for business internships in general and, as I indicated, you would have to be a Fox major or be pursuing a business minor if you are a CLA major in order to use their services. There as also internships available through the Career Center even though most of them are not specifically related to economics.
  2. However, the best source of internship leads that are specifically in Economics is The Economics Society (TES), our undergraduate student organization.  You can make use of what they have available whether you are a Fox or CLA major. (See #6 for the TES links.)
  3. How do I get academic credit for my internship?
    1. To get academic credit for your internship, you should sign up for Econ 3581, Coop Experience in Economics.
    2. If you are a Fox student, you should contact the Fox Center for Student Professional Development (CSPD) at Suite 134, Alter Hall or 215.204.2371 to be admitted. Everyone else should contact the Economics Department Coordinator (Ritter Annex 825 or 215.204.8880).
  • After you are admitted, you should contact the instructor indicated in the Class Schedule to find out what you are required to do. Usually what is required is a paper relating your internship or the company where you are interning to some economics topic.

If I am a CLA Econ major, what specific course prerequisites should I be aware of?

  1. First, Stat 2103, which is required, has first-semester calculus as a prerequisite. However, if you are a CLA major, you can get a waiver of that requirement if you have had the equivalent of pre-calculus, either by taking a course (Math 1022 or Stat 1001) or by having passed the University math proficiency test at the pre-calculus or higher level (MC5-Y  or higher or MAO-Y).  If you meet that requirement, go to the Fox Undergraduate Advising Center (SP 101), tell them you are a CLA Econ major who is trying to get into Stat 2103 and meets the prerequisite requirement to waive the calculus requirement. They will check and admit you to the course if you do meet the requirement
  2. Second, the course prerequisites for the capstone course, Econ 3598, Economic Writing Seminar, are Econ 3501 and 3502, both of which must be completed before taking the 3598. It is recommended that you take both well in advance of when you plan to take 3598 in case you do not earn the minimum grade (C-) on either one on the first pass. Also note that, if you want to register for 3598 but will not have the 90 hours required for admission until the end of the semester in which you are registering, contact the Economics Coordinator, currently Ms. Vincent, (; 215.204.8880; 825 Ritter Annex). She will verify that you meet the requirements and will admit you if there is an open section.  If not, she can put you on the wait list.

If I am a Fox Econ major, what limitations are there on which upper-level Economics I am allowed to take to meeting the Economics-electives requirement? (Any upper-level Econ course can be counted as a free elective.)

  1. Unlike CLA majors, who may take any 3000+ Economics course other than those specifically required for the major (3501, 3502, 3563 or 3564—if you have taken one to meet the international requirement, the other may be taken as an elective—and 3598), Fox majors may not count any Econ course numbered below 3500+ (including 3408) as an Econ elective.
  2. Furthermore, of those above 3500, the following may not be counted: 3581 and 3696 (writing behavioral economics—the non-writing behavioral econ course, 3548, is acceptable).

How can I find other students who are interested in economics?

  1. Your best bet would be to join The Economics Society (TES), our undergraduate student organization, since they are all interested in economics and they have a lot of economics-related activities and speakers.  Also, they are the main source of information on available internships in economics.
  2. Their website is:  Their email address is

What is the procedure for transferring economics courses to Temple?

  1. Get a copy of your School’s form for permission to take a course elsewhere. Fill out your part, scan it, and email it and a link to (or copy of) the course description to: Dr. Ritter shall fill out his part, scan it, and return it to you, or directly to your adviser if you give him the email address.
  2. Links to permission forms:
    1. Fox students:
    2. Other students:

For more information, contact  Dr. Moritz Ritter