Associate Professor- Instructional
1054 Anderson Hall
1114 Polett Walk
Creative writing, Poetry, Modern poetry, Contemporary poetry
Pattie McCarthy is the author of six books of poetry : Nulls (horse less press 2014), and five from Apogee Press: Quiet Book (2015), Marybones (2012), Table Alphabetical of Hard Words (2010), Verso (2004), and bk of (h)rs (2002). She has also published a dozen chapbooks, most recently ‘x y z &&’ (Ahsahta Press 2015). She was a Pew Fellow in the Arts in 2011. In summer 2013, McCarthy was an artist resident at the Elizabeth Bishop House in Great Village, Nova Scotia. She has been teaching at Temple since 2004. She regularly teaches Creative Writing: Poetry, Advanced Poety Workshop, Modern Poetry, Contemporary Poetry, Creative Acts, and Honors Literature / Reading / Writing. She lives just outside Philadelphia with her husband and their three children.
- Books of poetry:
- Quiet Book. Berkeley: Apogee Press, forthcoming 2015.
- Nulls. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Horse Less Press, 2014.
- Marybones. Berkeley: Apogee Press, 2012.
- Table Alphabetical of Hard Words. Berkeley: Apogee Press, 2010.
- Verso. Berkeley: Apogee Press, 2004.
- bk of (h)rs. Berkeley” Apogee Press, 2002.
- Chapbooks of poetry:
- margerykempething. Baltimore: Furniture Press Books, forthcoming 2015.
- x y z &&. Boise, Idaho: Ahsahta Press, 2015.
- worrywort (collaboration with Jenn McCreary). Lockhart, TX: Little Red Leaves Press—textile series, 2014.
- fifteen genre scenes. Buffalo, NY: eth press, 2014.
- Nova Scotia (collaboration with Kevin Varrone). Kingston, RI: Dusie Kollektiv, 2014.
- wifthing (stanzas) [chaplet]. Minneapolis: WinteRed Press, 2014.
- scenes from the lives of my parents. Central New Jersey: Bloof Books, 2013.
- Domestic Cryptography Survey II (excerpts). Zurich, Switzerland: Dusie Kollektiv, 2013.
- L&O. Lockhart, TX: Little Red Leaves Press, 2011.
- alibi (that is : elsewhere). San Rafael: Duration Press, 2003.
- Choragus. Elmwood, CT: Potes & Poets Press, 1998.
- Octaves. Philadelphia: ixnay press, 1998.
- Graduate Poetry Workshop
- Graduate Manuscript Tutorials
- Studies in Poetry (Senior Capstone): Intertexts
- Advanced Poetry Workshop
- Contemporary Poetry
- Issues in Modern Literature: Contemporary Innovative Poetry by Women
- Issues in Modern Literature: Literature of Exile
- Modern British and American Poetry
- Modern American Fiction
- Honors Special Topics: Contemporary Poetry
- Modern Poetry
- Creative Writing: Poetry Workshop
- Honors Introduction to Literature
- Introduction to Literature
- Honors Literature, Reading, Writing
- Creative Acts / Honors Creative Acts
- Composition / Analytical Reading & Writing