Associate Professor of Instruction
First Year Writing, Creative Writing (poetry & fiction), Modernism, Contemporary Poetry, the New York School of Poets, Art Criticism, Digital Culture
I have been teaching writing and literature at Temple since 2006. Prior to Philadelphia, I earned an MFA from Brown University and worked in their Sciences Library. Courses I have taught include Analytical Reading & Writing, Modern Poetry, a Special Topics course on the New York School, and Creative Writing (poetry & fiction). In my time at Temple, I have been awarded two Outstanding Instructor Awards from the First-Year Writing Program and received course development grants from the Philadelphia Experience program and from the Teaching & Learning Center. I have also served as faculty mentor for a student working on a translation project as a Diamond Scholar in 2008 and for a 2010 recipient of the William Van Wert Award. Outside of the classroom, I serve as a Representative to the Faculty Senate and as a member of the TAUP Executive Committee.
Under the byline Stan Mir, I have published two books of poetry, Song & Glass (Subito, 2010), and The Lacustrine Suite (Pavement Saw, 2011). I am also a critic, writing on poets such as Joseph Ceravolo, Gro Dahle, Arkadii Dragomoshchenko, and Linda Norton for the online journals, Jacket2 and Zoland. With Ryan Eckes, I have been organizing the Chapter & Verse Reading Series in Center City since 2009. Audio recordings for some of these readings can be found on PennSound.
- Books of poetry:
- The Lacustrine Suite. Montpelier, OH: Pavement Saw Press, 2011.
Song & Glass. Boulder, CO: Subito Press, 2010.
- Chapters in books:
- Flight Patterns. Brooklyn, NY: JR Vansant, 2009.
- Test Patterns. Brooklyn, NY: JR Vansant, 2010.
- Reviews online:
- “Without Burning Up the Frame: A Review of Arkadii Dragomoshchenko’s Endarkenment.” Jacket2.org, January 2015.
- “‘My Mother’s Mother-of-Pearl: A Review of Gro Dahle’s A Hundred Thousand Hours.” Jacket2.org, July 2015.
- “On Joseph Ceravolo’s Collected Poems.” ZolandPoetry.com, 2013, Vol. 2.
- “The Quiet Influence of Patience: A Review of Linda Norton’s The Public Gardens.” Jacket2.org, November 2013.
- English 0701: Introduction to Academic Discourse
- English 0711: Introduction to Academic Discourse – ESL
- English 0802: Analytical Reading and Writing
- English 0812: Analytical Reading and Writing – ESL
- English 0902: Honors/Lit/Reading/Writing
- English 2000: Special Topics: New York School of Poets
- English 2003: Creative Writing (poetry)
- English 2004: Creative Writing (fiction)
- English 2511: Modern Poetry
- English 2711: Introduction to Cinema Studies
- English 2712: International Cinema
- English 2900: Honors Special Topics: New York School of Poets
- English 3082: Independent Study (Writing and Publishing in the Punk Rock Community)
- English 3082: Independent Study (Diamond Scholarship focusing on translations of Callimachus)
- English 3521: Contemporary Poetry
- English 3900: Honors Special Topics: Among the Hum-Colored Cabs: The New York School of Poets and Painters