Environmental studies students are equipped with the tools to understand and address the crucial environmental issues of our time: sustainability, health, climate change, food access, natural resource consumption and environmental justice.
Environmental studies takes an interdisciplinary approach to the examination of nature and the causes and consequences of human interactions with the environment. Are natural disasters truly “natural”? Why are environmental benefits and burdens inequitably distributed across cities and regions? How do global environmental processes impact the health and wellbeing of populations in different places? Our programs focus on teaching and research for social change using a range of geographic methods.
Our department offers a BA in Environmental Studies and a MA and PhD in Geography and Urban Studies. These programs combine interdisciplinary coursework, strong research skills and technical training to prepare our students to address pressing issues in globalization, sustainability and social justice. Through interdisciplinary coursework that confers strong social science skills with technical training, our students are trained to analyze multi-faceted problems with a range of analytical tools and skills including the following:
- A global approach
- Spatial thinking
- An interdisciplinary perspective
- Understanding of the complexity of interactions between humans and the environment
- Social science research methods, policy analysis, and technical skills
- Written, oral and visual communication skills
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and mapping software
- Major in Environmental Studies
- Minor in Environmental Studies
- Major in Geography and Urban Studies
- Minor in Geography and Urban Studies
- Undergraduate Certificate in Geographic Information Systems
- MA in Geography and Urban Studies
- Professional Science Master’s in Geographic Information Systems
- PhD in Geography and Urban Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Geographic Information Systems
- 4+1 BA/BS and Professional Science Master’s in Geographic Information Systems
- 4+1 BA/BS and MA in Geography and Urban Studies
Small Department. Big Opportunities.
The environmental studies program is affiliated with the Department of Geography and Urban Studies — a department highly invested in student success.
Faculty and Staff Support
Our faculty and administrative staff give students unmatched attention through mentorship, extracurricular and research opportunities.
Invest in Your Future
Our students land competitive, meaningful jobs upon graduation in Philadelphia and beyond, working in business, government and non-profits sectors. The U.S. Department of Labor projects much faster than average job growth in environmentally related fields.