Students declaring a major or minor in the FGIS department are encouraged to study abroad. These programs are designed to improve participants’ oral, listening, reading, and writing proficiency in their target language as well as developing their knowledge regarding the history, politics, culture and society of that country.
Combining intensive language classes with experience abroad prepares students to compete for careers on a global level. Credits earned through the study abroad programs may be used toward a major, minor and/or certificate.
- French Language Summer Program at the Sorbonne in Paris, France
- Intensive German Language Summer Program in Leipzig, Germany
- German Semester/Year Exchange Programs in Hamburg or Tübingen, Germany
- Liberal Arts & Italian Studies Semester/Year Study Abroad Program in Rome, Italy
- Russian Language Programs via American Councils (ACTR) in Moscow or St. Petersburg, Russia
$2,000-$8,000 scholarships and grants are available to CLA undergraduate students in good academic standing. Assorted awards support language study in France or Italy for 1 semester, 1 academic year or 1 summer.