AlumniMeet Alumnus Jared Wheeler

Blog

J_wheel

Meet Alumnus Jared Wheeler

Jared Wheeler graduated with a degree in History from Temple University in May of 2004.  He is a member of the Society of American Baseball Research and the Philadelphia Athletics Historical Society. He has written and contributed to several publications regarding the history of baseball, most notably, Base Ball Founders: The Clubs, Players and Cities of the Northeast the Established the Game (McFarland 2013). His research of the uniform was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated in October of 2006, as well as in both their Baseball Book and Basketball Book. In the summer of 2009, as the Historian for Mitchell and Ness, he curated the exhibition Play Ball, The History of Baseball in Philadelphia, which was featured at the Betsy Ross House. He has advised several professional teams on their historical uniforms for current game use. His careers focus has been in the preservation of sport through the research and development of licensed apparel.

My career began in 2004, as the Historian/ Director of Research and Archives at the Mitchell and Ness Nostalgia Company in Philadelphia. It was there that I oversaw the research and development of the authentic jersey line. This consisted in the authentic reproduction of all MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL jerseys, jackets and caps. I also established and maintained a 2D and 3D research archive during my time there.

In August of 2013, I took the position of Sports Historian at ‘47 Brand in Boston, MA. Currently I oversee the research and development of historically based collections. This past summer we released Baseball United, a collection that tells the story of baseball during World War I and World War II through the use of fabrics, logos and looks.

What I love most about history is its ability to connect the past with the present. Everything has an origin and a past, which needs to be preserved and defined to the present and future generation. While at Temple, I was exposed to a program that supported my passion of sport history. The staff inspired me to carve out my own career in upholding the history of sport. The different resources that were made available through my Temple training broadened my career. I was able to find success in writing, curating, archiving and researching because of my training at Temple University. The big thing I took away from my time at Temple was the influence of my professors/advisors and their ability to provoke my passion and help me shape it into a career.