AlumniMeet Olivia D’Aiutolo: Temple Alumna Dangerous with Flintlock

Blog

Olivia D'Aiutolo

Meet Olivia D’Aiutolo: Temple Alumna Dangerous with Flintlock

When I chose to major in history at the start of my undergraduate career, I was certain I would be going to law school and becoming a lawyer. When I changed my mind about that in my Olivia D'Aiutolo 1sophomore year, I knew I would stick with history because I loved it. I graduated from Temple in 2016 with a bachelor’s in history and a special foreign language certificate in Italian. I chose Italian because of my familial background and a desire to study abroad in Italy—which I did do in 2014.

A month after graduation, I moved to Newport News, VA, five minutes from Yorktown and twenty from Williamsburg. I applied for every job with the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation for which I could be qualified and obtained a postgraduate internship in development. I’ve gotten to be extremely involved in history despite working in development. In fact, I am writing this in my office in the St. George Tucker House, built in 1718, just off Palace Green.

Our division takes a day to engage in the activities that our visitors enjoy so that we may better convey information and relate to our donors. In September, I tested the new musket range, where I shot 18th century flintlock muskets and fowlers. That was one of the best experiences I’ve had here thus far—feeling the weight of the musket, trying to load it clumsily and slowly—because I felt closer to the part of history I focused on at Temple, the American Revolution.

In August 2017, I will be attending the College of William & Mary as a master’s student in the Higher Education Administration program with the hope of becoming an academic advisor. While I feel confident in this new direction, I won’t forget that studying history provided me with the skills and knowledge to get to this point. As a history student at Temple, I drastically improved my writing, research method, critical thinking, and historical understanding. I became significantly more organized, efficient, and detail-oriented. The only concern I’m left with after graduating from Temple is that I know Chicago format with my eyes closed—but in the School of Education at William & Mary, I will be writing almost exclusively in APA.