Why Study Philosophy?
We are a vibrant community of philosophy scholars in the urban and cultural mecca of Philadelphia. Philosophy explores life’s big questions about knowledge, existence and values. Do we have free will? Does God exist? How do we define health and disease? What is the good life? If you study Philosophy at Temple University, you will assess these and other claims and evaluate arguments in a wide range of fields.
Whatever your interests, the department offers relevant courses and outstanding faculty members. Our course offerings cover pure and applied philosophy; contemporary philosophy and the history of philosophy; and philosophy of race, gender and other forms of social diversity. Departmental strengths include aesthetics, epistemology, ethics, European philosophy, Greek and early modern philosophy and philosophy of medicine and science. We offer both undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- The Climate Committee promotes an environment in which all students staff, faculty, and visitors feel safe, included, respected, and supported.
- Click on our department newsletter to the right to read about what’s happening in the department for the 2018-2019 academic year!
- BA in Philosophy
- BA in Philosophy with a Pre-Law Emphasis
- Minor in Philosophy
- Undergraduate Certificate in Ethics
- MA in Philosophy
- PhD in Philosophy
- MA or PhD in Philosophy/MA in Urban Bioethics
Philosophy Research Services at Paley Library
The world-class philosophy resources at Paley Library support the research, teaching and learning needs of Temple students and faculty.
Earn an Undergraduate Certificate in Ethics
The Certificate in Ethics educate students in essential concepts, central issues, history and methodologies of ethical reasoning.
Study Pre-Law at Temple
Select any of our 35 majors and enhance it with extracurriculars, legal internships and study abroad programs for an undergraduate resume that stands out to the best law schools.