Assistant Professor – Instructional
Anderson Hall 748
PhD, University of California, Santa Barbara
Philosophy of Language, Epistemology, Metaphysics, Ethics
Dr. Atkins specializes in philosophy of language and epistemology, with metaphysics and ethics as strong areas of competence. He also has interests in logic, philosophy of mind, philosophy of law, and philosophy of religion. Most of his research has focused on the semantics of names and attitude ascriptions, though he has also done serious work in epistemology, metaphysics, and ethics.
- “A Pragmatic Solution to Ostertag’s Puzzle” Philosophical Studies 163 (2013), 359-365.
- “Essential vs. Accidental Properties” (with Teresa Robertson) Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (2013), http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/essential-accidental/.
- “A Russellian Account of Suspended Judgment” Synthese 194 (2017), 3021-3046.
- Introduction to Philosophy
- Introduction to Philosophy of Mind
- Philosophy of Language
- Philosophy of the Human
- Theory of Knowledge
- Introduction to Logic