Visiting Assistant Professor
Anderson Hall 748
PhD, University of California, Santa Barbara
Dr. Atkins specializes in philosophy of language and epistemology. His research in philosophy of language has focused on names and attitude ascriptions. His research in epistemology has focused on skeptical puzzles concerning our knowledge of the external world. His other interests include metaphysics, philosophy of mind, and philosophy of religion. He has a burgeoning interest in ethics and philosophy of law.
Current and Recent Courses:
- Introduction to Philosophy
- Introduction to Philosophy of Mind
- Philosophy of Language
1. “Unanswerable Questions for Everyone” (with Tim Lewis) Philosophical Studies 161 (2012) 263-271.
2. “A Pragmatic Solution to Ostertag’s Puzzle” Philosophical Studies 163 (2013) 359-365.
3. “A Problem for the Closure Argument” (with Ian Nance) International Journal for the Study of Skepticism (forthcoming).