Visiting Research Professor (Retired)
Former Editor, The Journal Of Aesthetics And Art Criticism
Ph.D., Philosophy, University of Wisconsin
M.A., Philosophy, University of Wisconsin
B.A., Philosophy, Florida State
Susan Feagin publishes in aesthetics and philosophy of art, especially on issues that intersect with philosophy of mind and epistemology, such as the nature of perception, emotional responses to art, and relevance of artists’ intentions to understanding art. She was editor of The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism from 2003 to 2013, and during that time she was Visiting Research Professor in the Department. She is now retired, but teaches courses occasionally.
- History of Aesthetics
- Aesthetic Issues in the Arts (Interdisciplinary)
- Philosophy of Mind
- Reading with Feeling: The Aesthetics of Appreciation (Cornell University Press, 1996).
- Aesthetics. co-editor with Patrick Maynard (Oxford University Press, 1997).
- “Presentation and Representation,” Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism (1998): 234-240.
- “Paintings and Their Places,” Australasian Journal of Philosophy (1995): 260-268. Reprinted in Art and Its Messages: Meaning, Morality, and Society. ed. Stephen Davies (Pennsylvania State University Press, 1997): 17-25.
- “Imagining Emotions and Appreciating Fiction,” Canadian Journal of Philosophy (1988): 485-500. Reprinted in Emotion and the Arts. ed. Mette Hjort and Sue Laver (Oxford University Press, 1997).
- “The Pleasures of Tragedy,” American Philosophical Quarterly (1983): 95-104.