Mark A. Pollack
Professor and Jean Monnet Chair
4th Floor Gladfelter Hall
Mark A. Pollack is Professor and Jean Monnet Chair in the Department of Political Science at Temple University, where he teaches classes in international relations, international law, and European Union Politics. He received his Ph.D. from Harvard University in 1995, and has previously taught at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and at the European University Institute in Florence, Italy. His research agenda focuses on the promise and limits of international cooperation, with special attention to the European Union, the delegation of powers to supranational organizations, the politics of international law, and transatlantic relations between the United States and the European Union.
Prof. Pollack is the author of two books: The Engines of European Integration: Delegation, Agency and Agenda Setting in the European Union (New York: Oxford University Press, 2003), and, with Gregory C. Shaffer, When Cooperation Fails: The International Law and Politics of Genetically Modified Foods (New York: Oxford University Press, 2009).
He is also the editor or co-editor of six books, including most recently The Handbook of European Union Politics(with Knud Erik Jorgensen and Ben Rosamond, New York: Sage Publications 2009), and Policy-Making in the European Union, 6th edition (with Helen and William Wallace, New York: Oxford University Press 2010), as well as several dozen journal articles and book chapters.
Prof. Pollack was designated by the European Union as Jean Monnet Chair in 2009, and he serves as co-director of the Penn-Temple European Studies Colloquium. He is currently working, with Prof. Jeffrey Dunoff of Temple Law School, on an edited volume, International Law and International Relations, to be published by Cambridge University Press in 2012.
Mark A. Pollack and Gregory C. Shaffer. When Cooperation Fails: The International Law and Politics of Genetically Modified Foods (New York: Oxford University Press 2009).
Mark A. Pollack. The Engines of European Integration: Delegation, Agency and Agenda Setting in the EU (New York: Oxford University Press, April 2003).
Knud Erik Jorgensen, Mark A. Pollack and Ben Rosamond, eds., The Sage Handbook of European Union Politics (New York: Sage Publications, 2007).
Helen Wallace, Mark A. Pollack, and Alasdair Young, eds., (New York: Oxford University Press, 2010).
Recent works and works in progress can be found on Pollack’s SSRN web page.
- Political Science 866: World Affairs
- Political Science 1301: Introduction to International Relations
- Political Science 2331: International Organizations and Global Governance
- Political Science 3331: Politics of the European Union
- Political Science 3396: The International Legal Order
- Political Science 3996: Honors Capstone Seminar on Ethics and International Relations
- Political Science 4896: Capstone Seminar: The United States and International Law
- Political Science 4997: The Foreign Policy of the European Union
- Political Science 8301: Graduate Seminar: Theories of International Relations
- Political Science 8304: Graduate Seminar: Intenational Organizations
- Political Science 8330: The Political Science of International Law
- Political Science 8330: Research Seminar in International Relations
CV: Mark Pollack