A Temple University sociology degree will prepare you for a successful career, empowering you to think differently by opening your eyes to new perspectives. Jumpstart your career with a sociology internship, broaden your horizons by studying abroad and expand your skills by earning certificates.
Sociology Internship Seminar
The sociology internship program provides a learning experience that unites the core concepts of sociology with professional organizational settings and the community as a whole, while also guiding students as they transition into their own professional lives. Students who participate in the Sociology Internship Seminar are expected to serve an average of 10 hours per week in a local internship placement. In addition, students attend class seminar meetings and perform weekly assignments. The course can be taken for 1-4 credits and counts towards the elective requirements of the sociology major. Students may find their own internship placement or request placement assistance from the internship director.
Our students have secured internships with:
- Congresswoman Allyson Schwartz
- Philadelphia Magazine
- The Please Touch Museum
- American Lung Association
For semesters when the sociology internship seminar is not offered, students have the option to take the internship seminar offered by the College of Liberal Arts, CLA 2685. This course provides credits towards the required CLA electives. CLA Advising and Professional Development offers excellent support for preparing for internships and careers.
Temple’s study abroad programs provide an excellent opportunity to apply your sociological imagination as you discover new parts of the world. In addition to our campuses in Rome and Tokyo, Temple students have access to dozens of programs run by Temple faculty either during the school year or during the summer.
We especially encourage sociology students to consider the Jamaica International Service Learning and Research opportunity that is available every year from mid-May to late June. Run by sociologists Novella Keith and Georgia Bianchi, this program allows students to gain up to 6 credits in fieldwork and service learning. The courses count as electives towards the sociology major.
Sociology students who are looking to boost their resumes are encouraged to consider pursuing one of the following skills-based certificate programs:
- Certificate in Health Research
- Certificate in Language and Cross-Cultural Communication
- Management Career Certificate
- Certificate in Writing
- Certificate in Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies
- Certificate in Geographic Information Systems
- Certificate in Ethics
- Certificate in Spanish and Latino Studies for Health and Human Services
A sociology degree will prepare you for professional careers and graduate programs by providing you with a broad sociological perspective and research, statistical and analytical skills. Sociology students study the social lives of people. This includes group interactions, social institutions (e.g., politics, the economy) and societal values and norms. Courses address a wide range of topics including current social issues, social movements, family structure, urbanization and life in cities, organizations and corporations, health and health care, politics, law, and identity (e.g., race, class, gender and sexuality).
Through research-intensive coursework and specially designed internships, students gain experience in research methods including fieldwork, interviewing, analyzing surveys, statistical analysis and writing research reports.
Recently, our alumni have secured positions with the following employers:
- Patient access representative at St. Luke’s University Health Network
- Digital media coordinator at Love Beets
- Therapeutic staff support at Foundations Behavioral Health
- Teen education coordinator at Kingsbridge Heights Community Center
- Data Manager at Clarifi
- Assistant Prosecutor at the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office
- Program Associate at Education Communities for Parenting
- Research Analyst at the Philadelphia Workforce Investment Board
- Project Manager at Sunshine Holdings
- Associate at Towers Perrin
Explore careers further with these resources: