What is Sociology Anyway?
Sociologists study everything that humans do together from sex to politics…
- everything humans produce from families to cities…
- everything that defines the experience of human life from birth to adolescence to adulthood to old age to death…
- even national and international relations and the conflicts they generate…
- including social movements and how they lead to social change…
- as well as the implications of gender, race, sexuality, nationality and birth order…
- and anything else that you can think of because we humans are—well—human!
What is more important is that in the process of learning about the obvious and not so obvious aspects of what people do with one another, you will acquire a concrete set of skills in data analysis, statistics, fieldwork, and research methods that will prepare you for whatever you choose to do for your professional future.
In other words, you will gain more than an insight into the mundane and complex features of the social life of humans. You will gain the analytical and comprehension skills that are at the heart of complex decision making no matter the social context.
In addition to excellent skills training, we offer courses in topics like:
- Gender & Sexuality
- Health & Medicine
- Race & Ethnicity
- Media & Popular Culture
- Religion & Society
- Globalization & International Studies
- Philadelphia & Urban Sociology
For more details, check out the sociology course catalog!
When you are ready to apply, submit your application online at admissions.temple.edu/apply.