Monolingualism Can Be Cured
Our students study the cultural, historic, literary and linguistic aspects of the Spanish and Portuguese-speaking worlds in order to navigate a complex, increasingly globalized world with strong critical thinking and communication skills.
Join a Unique and Vibrant Community
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese is a unique and vibrant community of faculty who teach students of all disciplines at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Our three Spanish major tracks (Language and Professional Studies; Language, Literature and Linguistics; and Spanish for Education) prepare students for the 21st century’s pluralistic, globalized society. They do this through rigorous language training and by providing instruction in the cultures and literature of Spain, Latin America and the Luso-Brazilian world.
Diverse Spanish and Portuguese Educations
Specialized courses in business, criminal justice and medical Spanish and translation/interpretation skills complement our diverse courses. This course mix allows you to tailor your learning toward your professional and intellectual goals.
- BA in Spanish: Language, Literature and Linguistics
- BA in Spanish and Professional Studies
- BA in Spanish for Education
- Certificate of Specialization in Spanish
- Minor in Spanish
- Minor in Portuguese
- Certificate of Specialization in Spanish and Latin American Studies for Business
- Certificate of Specialization in Spanish and Latino Studies for the Health and Human Services Professions
- Latin American Studies Semester Certificate and Program
- MA in Spanish
- PhD in Spanish
Undergraduate and Graduate Programs
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese provides instruction in the languages, cultures and literature of Spain, Spanish America and the Luso-Brazilian world.
Latin American Studies Semester
Each spring semester, the Department of Spanish and Portuguese offers a 17-credit immersion program in Latin American Studies and Spanish, culminating in a three-week trip to Ecuador.