To view the Vietnamese and Nôm scripts, you may have to turn your browser's View: Encoding to UTF-8.
News & Events:
Highlighting Research from the Center for Vietnamese Philosophy, Culture, and Society at 2010 Global Temple Conference,
November 16, 2010 — Howard Grittis Student Center South, Session 4: 09:40 AM - 10:50 AM, Room: 217D (2nd Floor)
Press Release on the British Library Endangered Archives Programme 219 between the Center and Vietnam Institute of Social Science Information in Vietnam.
A mini-Conference on Nôm Studies, April 11-12, 2008 at the Center.
— Open Call for Papers
— Submitted abstracts
— Submitted papers
— Conference program
— Pictures from Conference
Global Issues in Vietnamese Nôm Preservation, Vietnamese
Philosophy, Culture & Society, Panel 4, Global Temple Conference, November 13, 2007.
* Nôm ideograms:
Trẻ con làm rồng rắn
Children play Dragon and Snake game.
Page under construction.
Nôm Digitization issues
- A new look at the Vietnamese Nôm studies, powerpoint presentation (to be uploaded) by Ngô Thanh Nhàn, Brown University Summit, Union of North American Vietnamese Student Associations, Rhodes Island, April 4, 2009.
- Global Issues in Vietnamese Nôm Preservation by Ngô Thanh Nhàn, Vietnamese Philosophy, Culture & Society, Panel 4, Global Temple Conference, November 18, 2007
- "A British Library Endangered Archives Project: Digital
an Ancient Hán Nôm archive in Vietnam" by Ngô Thanh Nhàn and issi_dc Group, presented at 2010 Global Temple Conference,
November 16, 2010 — Howard Grittis Student Center South, Session 4 Highlighting Research from the Center for Vietnamese Philosophy, Culture, and Society: 09:40 AM - 10:50 AM, Room: 217D (2nd Floor) (click here to view the full slide presentation, Acrobat pdf 22MB)
- Some issues in digitization of the Nôm archive at the Institute of Social Science Information, by Ngô Thanh Nhàn and issi_dc Group, published in Nhịp Sống 2008. A Vietnamese version appears in Niên giám Thông tin Khoa học Xã hội, No. 4/2009, Hanoi: Social Sciences Publishing House, pp. 491-506.
- Hệ thống các cơ sở dữ liệu tại Viện Thông tin Khoa học Xã hội [The system of databases at the Institute of Social Science Information], Ngô Thế Long, Bản tin Thư viện – Công nghệ Thông tin, 12/2008.
- A look at the status of Vietnamese Nôm studies, Editorial, Vietnamese Public Library of Knowledge. Published online April 30, 2007.
- Giới thiệu một nghiên cứu của Peter S. Du Ponceau, Mỹ, về ngôn ngữ và chữ Nôm Đàng Trong thế kỷ XIX [Introduction to a thesis by Peter S. Du Ponceau on the Annamese Nôm script of the XIXth Century], by Mai Bá Triều & Ngô Thanh Nhàn, in the Second International Nôm Conference, Hue June 1-2, 2006. First publication in Hồn Việt, vol. 6 (2007), pp. 105-125. Vietnam: Literature Publishing House. Reprinted in Nhịp Sống 2008.
- Đơn vị chính tả và các đặc điểm của tiếng Việt: chữ quốc ngữ, hệ latinh, chữ Nôm, hệ biểu ý và Unicode/ISO IEC 10646 [Orthographic unit and characteristics of the Vietnamese language: the quốc ngữ script, the latin script, the Nôm script, the ideographic script and the Unicode / ISO IEC 10646], for The Vietnamese Unicode/ISO 10646 Committee (VUIC), July 1, 2001.
- A review of dictionary indexing and lookup methods for ideographic scripts. Presented at the First International Conference on Vietnamese Studies, organized by the Vietnam National University in Hanoi and the National Centre for Social & Human Sciences. Hanoi, Vietnam, July 14-17, 1998.
Lists and dictionaries
- Tuồng cổ chữ Nôm – Di sản văn hoà Việt Nam [Classical Tuồng theater written in Nôm], by Nguyễn Thế (Museum and Preservation Specialist, Phong Điền District Culture and Information Office of Thừa Thiên-Huế Province). Paper presented at the First International Nôm Conference, November 12-13, 2004, at the National Library of Vietnam, Hanoi, organized by the Institute for Hán-Nôm Research (Vietnam) and the Vietnamese Nom Preservation Foundation. Published in Nghiên cứu chữ Nôm [Research in the Nôm script] under the title "Tuồng cổ chữ Nôm – bảo tồn và khai thác" [Classical Tuồng theater - Issues in Preservation and Access], Social Sciences Publishers, 2007, pp. 337-347.
- Introduction to Nôm – a Vietnamese script - for computer character encoding (3.2 MB), with James Đỗ and Nguyễn Hoàng. Paper presented at the Unicode Han Subcommittee Meeting, May 7, 1992 at Xerox Corporation, Palo Alto, CA. Document No. HCS 92-3-2 and 3.
- Nôm Proper Code Table, version 2.1 (with electronic version), with James Đỗ and Nguyễn Hoàng. Documents ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2/IRG N018, Fukuoka, Japan, Oct 4-6, 1993.
- Vocabulary of the Cochinchinese Language, with marginal notes showing its relation to the Chinese, from A Dissertation on the Nature and Character of the Chinese System of Writing, by Peter Stephen Du Ponceau, in a letter to John Vaughan, Esq., American Philosophical Society, Philadelphia, 1838. Pp. 139-184 & 5 plates of Cochinchinese ideogram illustration.
Reformatted by Ngô Thanh Nhàn (US), Mai Bá Triều (Belgium) & Lương Thị Hạnh (Nôm Na Group, Việt Nam): (a) the second column Chars. is inserted to reflect the corresponding ideograms in the plates, and (b) the fourth line in column Cochinchinese in square brackets to reflect the current spelling with accents for the entry heading on line 1.
333 Cochinchinese vocabulary items:
Preliminary observations, by M. de la Palun
I.—Of The Heavens.
III.—Of The World, &c.
V.—Of The Human Mind and Body.
VII.—Of The House.
VIII.—Of The Tables, &c.
XI.—Of Various Things.