Change of Program Procedures

To Be Completed in Canvas:

Step One: You must confirm that you have a cumulative 2.0 GPA in order to be eligible for a Change of Program. If you do not have a cumulative 2.0 GPA, you will not be able to transfer to the College of Liberal Arts. If you do not have a 2.0 GPA at this time, you should meet with an advisor in your college to create an academic plan to improve your GPA prior to your transfer. In order to start the Change of Program process, you must email with COP in the subject line. You must include your name, your TUid number, and what major you would like to switch to.

Step Two: Watch a brief College of Liberal Arts Change of Program video, which covers important information about academic advising and collegial requirements. Please pay close attention as you will be required to answer a brief quiz and answer all questions correctly prior to completing your Change of Program application.

Step Three: Complete a brief quiz which will test your knowledge of the college requirements covered in the video. You must answer each question correctly in order to complete the process. You can take the test more than once.

Step Four: You will then gain access to a link to the CLA Change of Program form that can only be accessed after successful completion of the quiz. Fill out and submit the form electronically. Please allow 5 business days for processing.

Upon completing the course you can make an appointment with an academic advisor to register or revise your schedule for the upcoming semester. Even if you are unsure of your plans, please still complete the Canvas course and then contact us at in order to schedule an advising appointment to discuss your potential change in program.

If you have any questions, please contact us at Please make sure to include “COP” in the email subject line and your TUID in the email.

What happens after I submit the form?

Your request to transfer to the College of Liberal Arts will then be reviewed to ensure that you are eligible for transfer. If you have completed all the steps above and have a 2.0 GPA, your request will be forwarded to the Office of the University Registrar for processing and may take 5 to 7 business days to be finalized. You will receive e-mail notification from the Office of the University Registrar once your Change of Program is complete.

Please note that your Change of Program is effective for the semester after you apply. If you submit a Change of Program in the fall semester, you will be a College of Liberal Arts student in the spring semester. However, you will still be able to register for College of Liberal Arts courses while the Change of Program is being processed.

Re-Enroll in Classes

If you have been out of school for one fall or spring term, you must complete an Undergraduate Request to Re-enroll form to be admitted back into the College of Liberal Arts. Re-enrollment forms are accepted until August 1 for the fall term, December 1 for the spring term and April 1 for summer sessions.

  • If you wish to transfer to another school or college within Temple University when you re-enroll, please contact that school or college and inform them of your intentions. If they approve your re-enrollment, they will contact us to complete the necessary filings and paperwork.
  • If you have attended another school or college, an official (sealed) transcript from that institution must be submitted to the College of Liberal Arts Center for Academic Advising and Professional Development before you can register for courses. You may submit your re-enrollment form while awaiting your transcripts.
  • If you indicate “Academic” as the reason for your absence, you may be required to attend an interview with the Center for Academic Advising and Professional Development.
  • If you indicate “Financial” as the reason for your absence, contact Student Financial Services before submitting the re-enrollment form. Students with financial holds will not be able to register until the hold has been resolved.
  • If you indicate “Health Related” as the reason for your absence, you will be required to submit a Medical Provider’s Statement Return (pdf.) to Temple form with your re-enrollment form.

Register for Classes

If you’re an owl with good academic standing—that means you have a minimum 2.0 GPA in the previous fall or spring term and cumulative GPA—you can register for classes through the Self-Service Banner (SSB). All students who have unsatisfactory academic performance—a term or cumulative GPA below a 2.0—must meet with an advisor in order to register.

During the registration process, you may encounter circumstances that require special approval and the appropriate approval forms. They may also require manual registration by the Center for Academic Advising and Professional Development. These include the following: Closed Section Approval, Credit Level, Credit/No Credit (Audit Only), Overload, Special Authorization and Time Conflict. Please note that no changes will be processed unless the student presents the request in person and waits for processing and a receipt of the transaction.