We strongly encourage our students to study for a semester or more in one of the countries they learn about in the Arabic, Asian Studies, Chinese and Japanese curriculums. Study abroad that includes participation in an intensive language program is an especially valuable way for students to develop a high level of proficiency in the language they are studying. These programs are designed to improve participants’ oral, listening, reading and writing proficiency in their target language and develop their knowledge regarding the history, politics, culture and society of that country. Combining intensive language classes with experience abroad prepares students to compete for careers on a global level. Credits earned through the study abroad programs may be used toward a minor and/or certificate.
There are additional approved external study abroad program providers that offer programs in Asia.They include the Alliance for Global Education, the School for Field Studies, the Education Abroad Network, SIT Study Abroad, Syracuse University, USAC, IES Abroad, Boston University and the University of Minnesota. Explore Study Abroad Programs by country.
- Temple Programs (Japan, China, India)
- Chinese Semester/Year Exchange Programs in Beijing, Hong Kong, Nanjing, Shanghai or Taipei, China
Chinese Semester/Year Exchange Programs in Beijing, Hong Kong, Nanjing, Shanghai or Taipei, China we don’t offer exchange opportunities in the cities I’ve highlighted, and also I wanted to let you know that the exchange we offer in Taiwan is linked to a page that’s separate from our China Exchanges page. Visit the Taiwan Exchanges page for more details including our exchange with NTU.
- Japanese Semester/Year Study Abroad Program in Tokyo, Japan
- Japanese Summer Semester in Tokyo, Japan
- Korean Semester/Year Exchange Programs in Seoul or Ansan, Korea
Korean Semester/Year Exchange Programs in Seoul or Ansan, Korea we don’t offer any exchanges in Ansan – only in Seoul.
Additional Study Abroad Resources
Complete Education Abroad’s External Programs Study Abroad Approval Process and participate in approved external study abroad programs such as:
- Council on International Education Exchange (Cambodia, China, India, Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam)
- Alliance for Global Education (China, India)
- The Education Abroad Network (Cambodia, China, Singapore, S. Korea, Thailand, Vietnam)
- School for Field Studies (Bhutan, Cambodia) and many more approved External Study Abroad Program Providers.
- To directly enroll in a foreign university such as the Korea University International Summer Campus (S. Korea) or the Yonsei University International Summer School (S. Korea), you must first complete Education Abroad’s External Programs Study Abroad Approval Process.
Study Abroad Scholarships and Internships
- Boren Scholarships (Asia)
- Bridging Scholarship (Japan)
- Critical Languages Scholarship (Bengali, Chinese, Hindi, Korean, Punjabi, Urdu)
- Fulbright Grants (Asia)
- Intrax Internships Abroad
Websites to Assist Language Learning
Foreign Language Placement, Waiver and Assessment Requests
For questions about placement, waivers, and assessments, please arrange to meet the appropriate Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Hebrew, Hindi, or Korean advisor by emailing email@example.com.
For languages not offered at the university, students have the option of taking an online language assessment exam. The exam vendor must first be approved by the department chair. Students should then complete the Foreign Language Assessment Request and Certification form and complete the first two sections, “Student Identification Information” and “Language Background and Information.” Students should next meet with a CLA academic advisor, bringing this form as well as any relevant documentation, such as a transcript or diploma, to demonstrate their background in the assessment language.