Temple University Municipal Police Academy
The Municipal Police Academy developed from Temple University’s desire to train its own campus safety personnel. In 1968, the unit was formed with the task of creating a 350-hour training program for Campus Safety Officers (in later years they became the Temple University Campus Police). In subsequent years, TUPA provided similar training services to other policing agencies. For example, between 1969 and 1980 CJTP provided 80-hours of training to every academy class graduating from the Philadelphia Police Department. In 1974 and 1975 the Pennsylvania Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission was formed and two Acts passed, Act 120 and Act 235. Temple University became certified by the Commonwealth as a school/academy to administer these programs. Since that time, TUPA has provided basic training to municipal, transit, housing, park, capitol, and campus police officers.
TUPA Class 18-02 Is Now Accepting applications for the September 2018 class.
- Physical Fitness Test Dates are scheduled for Tuesday July 31, 2018 & Thursday August 9, 2018.
- All tests will begin at 0930hours and applicants are to report to Director Willard’s Office located in 122 West Hall.
- Applicants must bring their driver’s license and proof of health insurance at that time. Portions of the test are conducted outside, so applicants should dress accordingly.
In order to be eligible to participate in the test, applicants must have submitted their on-line application, have had their MPOETC medical exam completed and submitted, as well as contacted Director Willard via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to register for the test.
Class 18-02 Academy Dates:
- Application Deadline: Friday August 17, 2018
- Program Dates: September 10, 2018- February 15, 2019
- Applications can be completed on-line and are reviewed as soon as they are received.
- For more information about applying on-line, you may e-mail email@example.com or to speak to someone in person, please call (267) 468-8600.
**Temple University Municipal Police Academy is offering to waive the academy application fee ($75.00) for current and recent graduates of Bucks County Community College and Penn State Abington. In order to be considered for the waiver, the applicant must be able to provide proof of attendance within the past school year or of graduation. Please contact Police Academy Director, Chris Willard for further details at (267) 468-8600 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Temple University Police Academy is a stand-alone Academy and is not affiliated with Temple University Police Department. Attending the Temple Police Academy does not guarantee employment with the Temple University Police Department.