As a College of Liberal Arts French degree student, you’ll learn France here in North Philly. But we also want you to see France by studying abroad in the City of Lights—Paris! And if you need more help advancing your French, the College of Liberal Arts has tutoring services available for you. And with a little help, you might even improve your French enough to earn awards or scholarships.
Study Abroad in Paris
Students declaring a major or minor in French are strongly encouraged to study abroad. Temple University has a summer program at the Sorbonne in Paris where students can immerse themselves in the language and contemporary cultural life. Credits earned through the Temple Sorbonne Program may be used toward the French major, minor, certificate and for satisfaction of the GenEd World Society requirement.
Study abroad is a crucial part of language learning and intercultural development. One of the most rewarding experiences of learning French is traveling to Francophone countries to interact with native speakers and experience their cultures firsthand.
- Application Deadline: February 15
- Learn More About Studying Abroad in Paris
The French program nominates qualified advanced students (French majors taking courses at the 3000- or 4000-level) with a strong interest in education to serve as tutors for students in the lower-level courses (1000-level).
Awards and Scholarships
The department of FGIS offers Marthe Lavallée-Williams Study Abroad Scholarships & Grants ranging from $2,000-8,000 to CLA undergraduate students in good academic standing. Assorted awards support language study in France or Italy for 1 semester, 1 academic year or 1 summer.
The French section of the FGIS department offers the following scholarships and prizes:
Any Academic Level:
- Marthe LaVallée-Williams French Club Leadership Prize: Established by a bequest from Dr. Marthe Lavallée-Williams, a former faculty member, this award is given to a member of the French Club whose record of leadership and service has been exceptional.
- The Alliance française de Philadelphie offers the Pierre C. Fraley Scholarship for French majors/summer study abroad.
- Temple’s Education Abroad awards the Vira I. Heinz Study Abroad Scholarship for Women for summer study abroad.
For a complete list and description of departmental and college level awards and scholarships you may be eligible for, please visit the College of Liberal Arts Awards and Scholarships page.