The Department of Geography and Urban Studies offers a four-course certificate in Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
What is Geographic Information Systems (GIS)?
GIS is anything that combines data with maps. Because it is so widely applicable, Geographic Information has become one of the linchpins of the Information Age. Geospatial technology is considered a high-growth industry by the U.S. Department of Labor and employers are seeking candidates trained in geospatial technologies. Its uses are so pervasive in modern industry that the market is growing at an annual rate of almost 35 percent, with faster than average job growth expected over the next ten years.
Training in GIS will give you the skills you need to take on advanced research positions in technology-based companies, governmental agencies, and non-profit organizations. A variety of industries hire people with this important skill set, including public health, the environment, business, technology, city planning, education, design, criminal justice, sociology, communications, journalism, and engineering.
This certificate is open to students in all majors across all colleges and schools at Temple University.
Questions? Visit Julia Falcon in 338A Gladfelter Hall or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All students take two required courses:
- GUS/ENST 3062: Fundamentals of Geographic Information Systems
- GUS/ENST 3161: Spatial Statistics, or an approved cognate.
And two electives selected from:
- GUS/ENST 3061: Fundamentals of Cartography
- GUS/ENST 3063: Environmental Remote Sensing
- GUS 3067: GIS and Location Analysis
- GUS/ENST 3069: GIS for Health Data Analysis
- GUS/ENST 4061: Cartographic Production
- GUS/ENST 4064: Web Mapping
- GUS/ENST 4065: Urban GIS
- ENST 4066: Environmental GIS
- GUS/ENST 4068: Census Analysis with GIS
- GUS/ENST 4072: Advanced Remote Sensing
- GUS/ENST 4073: Geovisualization
How to Add the GIS Certificate
To declare the GIS Certificate, visit the CLA Academic Advising and Professional Development Center in Paley Library, 1st Floor. No appointment needed.