The Department of Philosophy at Temple is committed to promoting an environment in which all students staff, faculty, and visitors feel safe, included, respected, and supported, regardless of race, ethnicity, sex, gender, identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, socioeconomic status, veteran status, political affiliation, or (dis)ability. We see this as essential to our goals of academic freedom and excellence.
Starting in Fall 2018, we have a Standing Committee on Climate. The tasks of the Climate Committee are as follows:
- to be a visible and pro-active advocate for the importance of climate concerns
- to identify and provide resources for members of our community on issues related to climate
- to foster discussion aimed at finding and implementing ways to improve our climate
The committee does not deal with personnel issues or individual grievances but seeks to provide general information about appropriate channels through which to address them.
The Climate Committee consists of at least two faculty members and at least two graduate students, with other members of the department, including undergraduates, invited to participate when appropriate. It aims at a balance with respect to race, gender, and other demographic characteristics, and a balance of MA and PhD students and instructional, tenure-track, and tenured faculty among its members. The committee does not include the Department Chair, Director of Graduate Studies, Director of Undergraduate Studies, or graduate representative, although it will consult with them as needed.
In 2018-19, the Climate Committee consists of Espen Hammer (chair), Lindsay Craig, Meryl Lumba and Daniel Remer.
- Center for the Advancement of Teaching
- Disability Resources and Services
- Equal Opportunity Ombudspersons and Resource Persons
- Family and Medical Leave Policy
- Institutional Diversity at Temple University
- International Student and Scholar Services
- Office of Equal Opportunity Compliance
- Temple Minorities and Philosophy (MAP)
- Title IX Coordinator Andrea Seiss
- Wellness Center
External Programs and Workshops for Students:
- Penn State Workshop for Prospective Grad Students in Underrepresented Groups
- Undergraduate Diversity Institutes in Philosophy