Do you offer a terminal Master’s degree? No, we do not.

I’m interested in neuropsychology (e.g. assessment of individuals with brain lesions). Should I apply to your program? The BCS area does not specialize in neuropsychology so it would be best to apply elsewhere.

Can I receive a degree in Neuroscience through BCS?  BCS students interested in neuroscience can participate in the Neuroscience Program. Upon successful completion of both BCS and Neuroscience Program requirements, students will receive a doctoral degree in Psychology with a Specialization in Neuroscience.

What is the difference between the Brain and Cognitive Sciences Area of the Psychology Department, the Neuroscience program through CLA, and the Neuroscience Department through Temple’s medical school?
The Department of Neuroscience at Temple University Medical School specializes in four interdisciplinary research areas: neurodegeneration, neuroinfection, neuroinflammation and neuromalignancy. Students with specific interests in those areas of research should contact the Department of Neuroscience in the School of Medicine.

The Brain and Cognitive Sciences Area of the Psychology Department has several faculty with research programs in neuroscience areas.  Graduate Students in the Brain and Cognitive Sciences Area of the Psychology Department will receive a Ph.D. in Psychology upon successful completion of degree requirements.  The Program in Neuroscience in the College of Liberal Arts offers a Specialization in Neuroscience that is open to all graduate students in any department/college of Temple University.  Upon successful completion of program requirements, students’ transcripts reflect a Ph.D. in their home department and in Neuroscience.  For example, a psychology graduate student that completes the Specialization will receive a Ph.D. in Psychology and Neuroscience.

Questions about applying to the program

Do I need to take the psychology GRE to apply? No.

Do I need to have an undergraduate major in psychology or neuroscience to apply to your program? No, although you must have taken coursework in these areas.

Can I apply to your program if I already have a master’s degree from somewhere else? Yes.

Will my graduate credits from another program transfer? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. We evaluate this on a case-by-case system.

I applied to your program. How do I know if I was granted an interview? You will be contacted no later than March 1 by email or telephone if you were granted an interview.

My interests span BCS, Developmental, and Clinical areas. To which area should I apply?  You should contact individual faculty members to seek their advice.

Should I contact individual BCS faculty members to see if my research interests fit into their research program, or to see if they are taking students? Yes