1701 N. 13th Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19122
Epigenetics, Addiction, Memory, Neuroscience, Hippocampus, Cocaine, Opioids
The once controversial idea that parental experiences, such as stress or diet, can shape the physiology and behavior of their offspring via epigenetic mechanisms has become an active area of research. Dr. Mathieu Wimmer studies the influence of drug abuse in fathers (sires) on future generations. His research program combines animal models of drug addiction and memory formation with molecular biology techniques to investigate the impact of paternal drug taking on drug-related behaviors and memory formation in progeny.
Dr. Wimmer is also interested in epigenetic remodeling events in the brain that underlie these inherited changes in behavior. Dr. Wimmer received his PhD from the University of Pennsylvania under the mentorship of Dr. Ted Abel. His postdoctoral training under the guidance of Dr. Chris Pierce at Penn focused on the transgenerational epigenetics of cocaine addiction. Dr. Wimmer’s research is funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
- White SL, Vassoler FM, Schmidt HD, Pierce RC, Wimmer ME (2015) Enhanced anxiety in male offspring of sires that self-administered cocaine. Addiction Biology. 21(4):802-10. PMCID PMC4626434
- Peixoto LL, Wimmer ME, Poplawski SG, Tudor JC, Kenworthy CA, Liu S, Mizuno K, Garcia BA, Zhang NR, Giese K, Abel T (2015) Memory acquisition and retrieval impact different epigenetic processes that regulate gene expression. BMC Genomics. Doi:10.1186/1471-2164-16-S5-S5. PMCID: PMC4460846
- Peixoto L, Risso D, Poplawski SG, Wimmer ME, Speed TP, Wood MA, Abel T (2015) How data analysis affects power, reproducibility and biological insight of RNA-seq studies in complex datasets. Nucleic Acids Research. 18:43(16): 7664-74. PMCID PMC4652761
- Wimmer M, Rising J, Galante RJ, Wyner A, Pack AI, Abel T (2013) Aging in mice reduces the ability to sustain sleep/wake states. PLoS ONE 8(12): e81880. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0081880. PMCID: PMC3864844.
- Wimmer M*, Vecsey CG*, Havekes R, Park AJ, Perron IJ, Meerlo P, and Abel T (2013) Daily acclimation handling does not affect hippocampal long-term potentiation or cause chronic sleep deprivation in mice. Sleep. 36(4):601-7. PMCID: PMC3612265. * Authors contributed equally
- Wimmer M, Hernandez P, Blackwell J, and Abel T (2012) Aging impairs hippocampus-dependent longterm memory for object location in mice. Neurobiology of Aging. 33(9):2220-4. PMCID: PMC3227775.
- Vecsey CG, Baillie GS, Jaganath D, Havekes R, Daniels A, Wimmer M, Huang T, Brown KM, Li XY, Descalzi G, Kim SS, Chen T, Shang YZ, Zhuo M, Houslay MD, and Abel T (2009) Sleep deprivation impairs cAMP signalling in the hippocampus. Nature. 461(7267):1122-5. PMCID: PMC2783639
- Harris GC, Wimmer M, and Aston-Jones G (2005) A role for lateral hypothalamic orexin neurons in reward seeking. Nature. 437(7058):556-9.