Students in Temple University’s sociology degree programs study social behaviors, structures and institutions. Why do societies differ so much across time and around the world? Why are some social problems so persistent? Why do individuals with similar skills and talents have such different opportunities in life? Many disciplines ask these questions, but sociology answers them with scientific methods and sophisticated theories, all with a focus on social change and improving public policy.
Temple’s sociology degrees offer you the chance to acquire the skills you need to navigate these challenging times. We seek undergraduate sociology students willing to be rigorously trained in theories and methods of social analysis, to be equipped for success in fields like business, education, law and community organizing. Those who enroll in our sociology of health track, meanwhile, pursue futures in a wide range of health professions. We also seek highly motivated students for our sociology master’s degree and doctoral programs.
For further information regarding sociology requirements and to make an appointment with a sociology advisor, contact the undergraduate coordinator at 215-204-1494.
Dual Degree Bachelor’s and Master’s Programs
- 4+1 Program: BA in Sociology + MA in Sociology
- 4+1 Program: BA in GSWS + MA in Sociology
- 4+1 Program: BA in Sociology + M.Ed. in Secondary Education
- 4+1 Program: BA in Sociology + M.Ed. in Adult and Organizational Development
- 4+1 Program: BA in Sociology + M.Ed. in Urban Education
- Master of Arts in Sociology
- Professional Science Master’s in Applied Sociology
- PhD in Sociology: Due to the economic downturn, the faculty of the Department of Sociology has decided to not admit any first-year PhD students for 2021-2022 and instead support our older students. We are still doing admissions for our Master’s programs (MA and PSM) and we plan to do admissions next year for PhD students (for 2022-2023)
- Urban Bioethics MA and Sociology MA Dual Degree Program
- Urban Bioethics MA and Sociology PhD Dual Degree Program
Design Your Program
Tailor your coursework to fit your specific interests and career path. Sociology majors can choose to specialize in one of the world's most pressing public or social issues.
Learn from Top Faculty
Our highly accomplished professors have received accolades for both their research and award-winning teaching.
Enhance Your Career
We offer a series of research methods courses — both quantitative and qualitative — that will equip you with the hard analytical skills that employers desire.