Temple University Spanish degree and Portuguese course students have a number of resources available to help them along during their college experience. Take a look at our available undergraduate and graduate student resources.
Current Undergraduate Student Resources
Advising: Where Do I Go If I Have Questions About:
- Majors: Patricia Moore-Martínez
- Minors: Patricia Moore-Martínez
- Certificates: Josh Pongan
- Course(s) taken elsewhere: Patricia Moore-Martínez
- Non-major: Josh Pongan
- Placement test scores (retrieve and interpret) Patricia Moore-Martínez
- Study Abroad: Augusto Lorenzino
- Transfer Credit: Patricia Moore-Martínez
- Coordinator of Spanish 1003, 1903, 2001, 2002, 2096, 2901, 2902, and 2903: Marcela Pardes
- Coordinator of Spanish: 1001, 1901, 1002, and 1902: Josh Pongan
- Latin American Studies Semester (LASS): Patricia Moore-Martinez (Program Director)
- Sigma Delta Pi: Fernando Fonseca Pacheco, Nicole Nathan
- Graduate Students: Paul Toth (Fall 2020) Víctor Pueyo Zoco (Spring 2021)
- Spanish Graduate Reading Exam (for Spanish, Portuguese and Catalan languages): Sergio Ramirez-Franco
- Portuguese Graduate Reading Exam: Adam Joseph Shellhorse
- Portuguese Minor and Brazilian Studies: Adam Joseph Shellhorse
If you are in need of a tutor to help you with your Spanish class, our department has graduate students/TA’s that are willing to meet with you for a fee. Please feel free to contact them with any questions.
AY 2020-21 Available Spanish Tutors
AY 2020-21 Available Portuguese Tutors
Note: You may also contact the Russell Conwell Learning Center, Suite 202, 1700 N. Broad St., Phila, PA 19122 at (215) 204-1252. They may have undergraduate students that will tutor for free.
Academic Support Services for Spanish and Portuguese
The Student Success Center provides support for Spanish language learners. For more information, visit the Student Success Center website.
Meet one-on-one with a fluent speaker of Spanish to practice speaking and listening; to improve reading-comprehension in Spanish texts; to build vocabulary; develop grammar skills; and to prepare for oral exams and presentations.
Open to Temple students in 1000 and 2000-level Spanish courses, and students who have a background in Spanish. For courses at the 3000 level up through graduate level, please contact Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule.
The writing tutoring service provides one-on-one support for students who are working on papers for classes, as well as cover letters, resumes, scholarship essays, creative writing, and any other texts students are working on in Spanish.
Open to Temple students who have a background in Spanish and/or are enrolled in Spanish courses. For courses at the graduate level, please contact Liz at email@example.com to schedule.
Current Graduate Student Resources
- View the Comprehensive Examination Reading Lists for the M.A. and PhD.
- View a list of Doctor of Philosophy dissertations that have been completed between 1973 and the present in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese.
- Have a question about the graduate program in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese? View our FAQs.
- For more information about M.A. and Ph.D. degree requirements, please review the Graduate Handbook.
Anales de la Literatura Española Contemporánea (ISSN: 0272-1635): ALEC publishes scholarly articles studying all aspects of twentieth and twenty-first century Spanish literature (from “modernism” and the so-called generation of 1898). Back archive available in JSTOR. The last three years are only available in print. The journal is part of The Society of Spanish and Spanish-American Studies (SSSAS). SSSAS promotes bibliographical, critical and pedagogical research in Spanish and Spanish-American studies by publishing works of particular merit in these areas. On occasion, The Society also publishes creative works. SSSAS is a non-profit educational organization.
For any correspondence regarding subscriptions and article submissions please contact the editors at firstname.lastname@example.org. Updated information about the journal’s most recent issues may be found at www.sssasalec.com.
- Newsletter Vol. 1, No. 1, September 2015
- Newsletter Vol. 1, No. 2, November 2015
- Newsletter Vol. 1, No. 3, January 2016
- Newsletter Vol. 1, No. 4, March 2016
- Newsletter Vol. 2, No. 1, September 2016
- Newsletter Vol. 2, No. 2, February 2017
- Newsletter Vol. 3, No. 1, September 2017
- Newsletter Vol. 3, No. 2, April 2018
- Newsletter Vol. 4, No. 1, October 2018
- Newsletter Vol. 4, No. 2, April 2019