What do you want to get out of your Spanish or Portuguese education? Read our Spanish degree and courses and Portuguese courses program overview to learn how the College of Liberal Arts will get you there. We teach a lot, our students are globetrotters and our coursework uses immersive study to elicit positive results. Maybe that’s why our Spanish certificate is ranked first in the nation. Select your track today to get started.
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese at Temple University prepares students for the pluralistic, globalized society of the 21st century. As a student, you’ll benefit from rigorous language training and a liberal arts education. Through instruction in the languages, cultures and literatures of Spain, Spanish America and the Luso-Brazilian world, students acquire bilingual competency in the quintessential liberal arts skills: clear written and oral communication, problem-solving competencies and real-world experience. Specialized courses in business, criminal justice, and medical Spanish and translation/interpretation skills complement a robust array of language and literature courses. The result is that majors and non-majors are both able to tailor their learning towards their professional and intellectual goals.
In addition to on-campus instruction, the department facilitates student connections with local and global communities through participation in one of our special programs: an intensive immersion program in Spanish and Latin American Studies (LASS); diverse programs abroad, including our Temple Spain Programs; and service learning and internships in areas of business, social service and education in Philadelphia. Students studying in Spanish and Portuguese are well-positioned for life after Temple University’s College of Liberal Arts. Our students attend graduate, law and medical schools; they enter public service through careers in public policy, international relations and education; and they utilize their language skills in the business and health sectors.
We Teach—a Lot
Spanish and Portuguese students receive a 360-degree view of our subject matter. From language and culture to literature and business, our students graduate with the skills they need to look at global issues from all angles. And thanks to service learning and internships in business, social services, health and education throughout Philadelphia, students can add the practical experience they need to hit the ground running upon graduation.
Our Students Are Globetrotters
Spanish and Portuguese students are encouraged to study abroad and immerse themselves in the language and culture of Ecuador and Spain. Study abroad for a summer or for a full academic semester. The choice is yours.
Immersive Study, Positive Results
Our students graduate with career aptitudes such as research and information literacy, multicultural and interpersonal skills, and marked improvement in formal and informal written and oral communication. Through multidisciplinary coursework, students hone their analytic and creative thinking skills and are better able to generate conclusions and solutions.
BA in Spanish: Language, Literature and Linguistics
The Language, Literature and/or Linguistics option is designed for students who wish to develop advanced language skills in the study of Latin American Literature, Peninsular Literature and/or Linguistics.
- Learn More About the BA in Spanish: Language, Literature and Linguistics
BA in Spanish and Professional Studies
The Language and Professional Studies option is designed for students who wish to develop language and professional skills as well as an awareness of Hispanic culture.
- Learn More About the BA in Spanish and Professional Studies
BA in Spanish for Education
The Spanish for Education option includes the Spanish-language courses required for certification in Spanish for Secondary Education in Temple’s College of Education and satisfies the College of Liberal Arts’ Spanish major requirements.
Minor in Spanish
- Learn More About the Minor in Spanish
Minor in Portuguese
- Learn More About the Minor in Portuguese
Spanish Certificate Ranked #1 in the Nation
Foreign Language Colleges has ranked Temple University’s Spanish Certificate Program #1 in the nation based on US Department of Education data sets released in 2014-15.
- Learn More About the Certificate of Specialization in Spanish
- Learn More About the Certificate of Specialization in Spanish and Latin American Studies for Business
- Learn More About the Certificate of Specialization in Spanish and Latino Studies for the Health and Human Services Professions
- Learn More About the Latin American Studies Semester Certificate and Program
Select Your Track
Choose from three different major tracks allowing you to select courses from each track to meet your personal and professional language goals.
- Language, Literature, Linguistics: The Language, Literature and Linguistics major embodies the curriculum of a foundational liberal arts program. Skills in research, information literacy, analysis, cultural competencies and written and oral discourse are honed, along with language proficiency through direct language instruction and courses in literature and linguistics.
- Language and Professional Studies: The Language and Professional Studies major is designed for the student whose career interests focus upon the professional world. Courses in Translation, Medical, Business and Legal Spanish form the foundation for this track.
- Spanish for Education: The Spanish for Education major not only prepares students linguistically for their future careers as educators, but also fulfills the College of Education’s Spanish requirements for certification in Spanish for Secondary Education.